How to tell Google you’ve moved to a new domain
You want to keep all the SEO search rankings from your original website and apply them to your new site. The easiest way to tell Google your website address has changed is by using Google Search Console.
- Log in to Google Search Console
- Create a property for your new domain
- Follow any verification steps
- Submit a sitemap (Yoast SEO plugin creates WordPress sitemaps)
- Run the Google Search Console Change Address tool
Google runs pre-move checks to verify you have 301 redirects in place.
You can check the progress in your Google Search Console. The search results migration is a slow process that takes 1-4 weeks. So be patient, and don’t panic if you disappear from Google ranks on week one!
Deep dive article: Move a WordPress Website to a New Domain and Keep SEO Rankings